On May 13, 2019, Christie’s held precious watch auctions in Geneva. A total of 249 timepieces were collected in this auction, attracting bidders from 41 countries and regions. In the end, the total price of the auction reached 11,510,250 Swiss francs (including buyer’s commission).
Of the top ten lots sold, Rolex and Patek Philippe occupied five seats and three seats respectively, while Breguet and Vacheron Constantin each took one seat. Among them, a Rolex Ref.6062 ‘Stelline’ star-calendar three-phase moon phase rose gold watch became the star of the auction with 975,000 Swiss francs; and a more common Ref. 3525 gold chronograph, because it was Owned by Andy Warhol, sold for 471,000 Swiss francs (pre-sale estimate 200,000 to 300,000 Swiss francs).
John Reardon, international director of Christie’s watch division, said: ‘Rolex has continued its dominance in the international auction market. Rare antiques and modern Rolex timepieces continue to maintain high prices in the high-quality market. Provenance plays a more important role and is the final decision. The key factor in the sale price. More than 80% of the lots are from European private households, which has contributed greatly to the success of the auction. ‘
Christie’s Geneva Prestige Watch Auction 2019 Top 10
1. Rolex Ref.6062 ‘Stelline’ star-labeled three-calendar moon phase 18K rose gold watch, sold for 975,000 Swiss francs
2. Rolex Ref. 3525 gold chronographs, once owned by Andy Warhol, sold for 471,000 Swiss francs
3. Rolex Ref.6241 Paul Newman dial 14K gold chronograph, sold price 471,000 Swiss francs
4. Rolex Ref.6263 panda plate stainless steel chronograph with a price of 447,000 Swiss francs
5. Patek Philippe Ref.5016 three-question perpetual calendar tourbillon 18K gold watch, sold for 411,000 Swiss francs
6. Rolex Ref.6265 panda plate stainless steel chronograph, sold price 363,000 Swiss francs
7. Baodi three calendar moon phase stainless steel chronograph, 300,000 Swiss francs
8. Patek Philippe Ref.5271 / 12P-001 perpetual calendar moon phase platinum chronograph, sold price 256,000 Swiss francs
9. Patek Philippe Ref.5102PR astronomical platinum / 18K rose gold watch, sold for 188,000 Swiss francs
10. Vacheron Constantin’s five-point questionnaire button 18K gold chronograph, price 188,000 Swiss francs